The Head of Global Risk Assessment & Monitoring is responsible for the development and implementation of preventative and proactive compliance assessment, analytics and monitoring activities for all activities and transactions. This role will be responsible for developing and implementing an annual and periodic risk assessment approach with corresponding processes and tools to support these assessments. This role also determines the activities, sources, and methods to monitor compliance with business practices, policies, laws and regulations. This position will be responsible for supporting Alexion’s overall global Compliance Program by taking a consultative and business oriented approach and modeling a culture of compliance through leadership of the Global Risk Assessment & Monitoring function. This individual will be responsible for assessing resources and building a team to support the various assessment, analytics and monitoring activities. The role reports directly to the Chief Compliance Officer and contributes to Alexion’s overall global compliance strategies.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Develops, builds, and implements globa risk assessment, analytics and compliance monitoring programs and solutions for all activities and transactions, focused on HCP engagements, external funding activities, and third party transactions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, including Alexion’s global Anti-Bribery/Anti-Corruption (ABAC) Compliance Program, and various other relevant laws and regulations. Among other things, the role is accountable for the following:
- Identifying global risk areas by assessing the execution of Alexion’s Compliance Program through data analysis and risk assessments;.
- Aggregate data from various systems, including Alexion’s ABAC Approval System, SAP, Concur, VEEVA, among others tools and systems, to monitor risks globally across the enterprise.Collaborating with Data Scientists and Data Analyts to develop requirements for Compliance dashboards to assist in the reporting of potential compliance risk areas to senior management, Compliance Committees, and leadership teams.
- Establishing mechanisms to proactively monitor compliance activities based on consultation with business partners on emerging issues and trends.
- Implementating a global compliance monitoring framework and program across the business operations.
- Partnering with relevant stakeholders across the business to ensure an integrated approach to global risk monitoring.
- Performing ad hoc monitoring, as needed, to support compliance activities and to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Development and implementation of risk asessement and compliance monitoring programs and solutions for all business operations.
- Development of processes and resources to support the collection of data and analytics to support real-time monitoring.
- Partnership with internal teams for the ongoing management, proactive improvement, and monitoring of compliance programs.
- Utilizing tools, resources, and data analytics to develop key insights across the organization.
- 12-15 years of relevant experience in a monitoring program role within a Compliance, Legal, Audit, or Risk function;
- Prior Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical industry experience is preferred;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal;
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills, including data analysis tools;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated track record and ability to drive results as an effective a team member and leader;
- Strong sense of ethics and responsibility; and
- Ability to travel as required to meet business needs.
- Prior experience with data visualization and analytics software such as Qlik Sense or Tableau is helpful;
- Basic understanding of data analytics programming languages (e.g. Python, SQL)
- Working knowledge of data modeling and database management systems (DBMS)
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other Compliance leaders, and with external partners; and
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions.
Boston, MA, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes two approved complement inhibitors to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) as well as the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG) and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing several mid-to-late-stage therapies, including a second complement inhibitor, a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease and an anti-neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) antibody for rare Immunoglobulin G (IgG)-mediated diseases as well as several early-stage therapies, including one for light chain (AL) amyloidosis and a second anti-FcRn therapy. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes’ list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts’ Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.