Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Medical Science Liaison Manager
Location: Field-Based, West Germany (Rheinland Pfalz and Nordrhein-Westfalen)
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based scientific expert that strategically supports the medical and scientific objectives of Alexion’s scientific platform and product/s across the product/s life cycle. He/she is a peer scientific expert who communicates accurate and applicable scientific and medical information to Healthcare Practitioners (HCPs) within a geographic area. In addition, the MSL manages and maintains collegial and professional relationships with HCPs and identifies and facilitates collaboration opportunities with Alexion. The MSL combines strong business acumen and clinical expertise and serves as a peer-to-peer liaison internally
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and continuously maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise in the field of neurology with a special emphasis in Myasthenia gravis and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert in these areas.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of and appropriately implement current local pharmaceutical regulation in conjunction with Regulatory Affairs, and ensure implementation of Alexion policies and procedures.
- Support the development and drive implementation of a local Medical Affairs Plan and strategy, to support best clinical practice and the overall corporate objectives
- Conduct and provide medical leadership to training programs for the commercial teams and other functions, in line with local and global strategy
- Coordinate the timely and appropriate response to internal and external Medical Information enquiries, utilizing global medical information resources and in line with local regulatory requirements
- Drive the identification, development and alignment with Key Opinion Leaders, other important customers and stakeholders, including professional organizations.
- Deliver quality medical education presentations in a variety of settings and obtain valuable feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization e.g. Staff Meetings, Round Tables, Hospital Meeting activities
- Ensure timely and informative scientific/medical exchanges with external customers and internal partners, which accurately reflect scientific data, in accordance with compliance policies and procedures as well as with legal and ethical standards
- Develop and implement new internal and external projects for a virtual environment
- Lead the implementation of medical affairs practices to assess new indications, the treating community, patient pathways, diagnostic practices and management strategies in relevant disease areas
- Identify potential investigators in relevant diseases for participation in future clinical research projects and disease registries
- Ensure a close working relationship with all functions in country, including commercial operations, sales and marketing teams
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects to support the business objectives
- In conjunction with EMEA clinical operations perform clinical study feasibility and support effective study implementation.
- Support the implementation of the local publication plan, aligned with local and Global strategy and in conjunction with in country functions and EMEA medical Affairs team, to ensure widespread data dissemination and local data generation, including congress abstracts, publications, case studies.
- Attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence, assist personal education, ensuring to utilize these opportunities to develop relationships with important customers
- Minimum 5 years Biotechnology/Pharmaceutical field experience preferably in the rare disease area
- Prior experience as either an MSL or sound experience in scientific sales a must.
- Proven track record of relationship development in the industry.
- Proven ability and experience to present complex scientific data
- Previous experience in an rare or ultra-rare disease environment a distinct advantage.
- Experience within Neurology would be ideal
- Prior exposure to complex matrix organizations or experience working as part of a virtual team is a plus.
- Microsoft Office experience essential (exposure to databases an advantage)
- Highly articulate and persuasive during formal and informal presentations; able to convey complex scientific ideas fluently to any audience
- Self-starter. Works independently. Sees where they can add value and develops ideas.
- Capacity to work effectively on multi–disciplinary teams in order to achieve desired outcomes-exceptional team player!
- Positive attitude during challenging situations
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Relevant life-science degree ( Master or Diploma)
- Fluent in German and English, both spoken and written
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development, and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.