Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Executive Director, International Compliance
Alexion Rare Disease Unit Head of Compliance
This is what you will do:
The Executive Director, International Compliance, will be responsible for leading, driving, and managing all aspects of Alexion’s global compliance program for the International Region and Japan. Reporting into the Alexion Rare Disease Unit Head of Compliance, this position will lead a team of country and regional compliance officers, and be responsible for providing strategic direction, compliance guidance, as well as implementing and maintaining all aspects of Alexion’s global compliance program.
You will be responsible for:
- Provide strategic direction and compliance leadership and serve on Alexion’s Global Compliance Leadership Team.
- Lead the implementation and management of Alexion’s global compliance program, including Alexion’s anti-bribery/anti-corruption (“ABAC”) compliance program.
- Draft and implement policies, procedures, SOPs, and relevant compliance guidance, as needed.
- Identify opportunities for the strategic growth and enhancement of Alexion’s global compliance program.
- Actively participate and serve on leadership teams, including the International Leadership Team, providing compliance guidance consistent with the Company’s culture values to promote ethical behavior, and enhance Alexion’s global compliance program.
- Implement Alexion’s global compliance program across all markets comprising the International Region and Japan, ensuring appropriate compliance due diligence, governance, and monitoring processes are established.
- Establish compliance governance processes across the International Region and Japan, including managing and co-chairing relevant compliance committees.
- Develop, implement, and manage compliance programs, processes, and systems to mitigate compliance risks.
- Lead, drive, and conduct proactive compliance initiatives such as risk assessments, compliance workshops, training initiatives, and other compliance monitoring activities.
- Evaluate potential and emerging risk areas and implement remedial measures to effectively manage risk across the International Region and Japan.
- Manage and coordinate remediation from compliance investigations and corporate audits, as necessary.
- Deliver regular compliance training to Alexion employees and relevant third parties on the Company’s policies, processes, and procedures, as necessary.
- Analyze internal and external ethics and compliance program developments, including the external legal and regulatory environment, to implement enhancements and best practices to Alexion’s global compliance program.
You will need to have:
- 15+ years of relevant compliance experience related to implementing a compliance program, including experience with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, U.K. Bribery Act (2010), and other anti-bribery/anti-corruption laws; experience in the pharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and interact with senior leaders
- Experience drafting and implementing policies, procedures, SOPs, and guidance documents
- Ability to work well with others and operate in a matrixed, multi-cultural environment
- Leadership capabilities and project management skills to drive and lead projects and compliance initiatives with cross-functional teams
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills
- Being a team player
- Exercising a strong commitment to ethics and integrity
- The duties of this role are generally conducted in an office environment. As is typical of an office-based role, employees must be able, with or without an accommodation to: use a computer; engage in communications via phone, video, and electronic messaging; engage in problem solving and non-linear thought, analysis, and dialogue; collaborate with others; maintain general availability during standard business hours.
We would prefer for you to have:
- Law degree is preferred.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proactive and action-oriented with solutions focused approach.
- Ability to drive engagement and is results driven.
- Organized and good time-management planning.
- Strong collaborative team player who partners well with cross-functional stakeholders in a matrix environment.
- Strategic vision and mindset, and ability to think innovatively.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development, and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.