Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Medical Advisor, Metabolic Disorders
This is what you will do:
The Medical Advisor Metabolics is a member of the Medical Affairs Team and will provide scientific and medical leadership especially for metabolic indications in establishing an in depth understanding of the relevant medical landscape in relation to relevant disease states and Alexion products. The Medical Advisor Metabolics is supporting the development and implementation of long-term strategy and building enduring medical affairs practices and infrastructure in line with overall Alexion strategy. The Medical Advisor Metabolics will support the medical team to ensure achievement of local objectives and further to the global medical affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care.
The Medical Advisor Metabolics develops expertise in the specific therapeutic area (TA) for internal as well as external stakeholders and acts as the medical expert for the TA within cross-functional teams, including support for other functions (e.g. marketing, regulatory affairs, market access, HEOR).
The Medical Advisor Metabolics will report to the Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolics Germany.
You will be responsible for:
- Development and maintenance of highest scientific and medical expertise in all relevant indications and products of Alexion in the field of metabolic disorders:
- Internal and external recognition as an expert in these area
- Attendance at relevant national/international meetings and congresses
- Close collaboration with scientific key opinion leaders, other relevant stakeholders and medical societies
- Insight gathering and obtaining of expert advice to answer open medical qustions
- Identification of specific data gaps and preparation of robust concepts to close these gaps with real-world evidence (RWE) generation; lead the process of study design, approval processes, budget and vendor management
- Supporting the development and implementation of long-term strategy and building enduring medical affairs practices and infrastructure in line with overall Alexion strategy
- Development, implementation, and support of national key medical events such as symposia or medical standalone meetings in close collaboration with key stakeholders
- Providing objective and balanced medical/ scientific information for both internal and external customers, including Medical Information activities
- Support HTA activities and reimbursement applications locally in close collaboration with market access, including the preparation of value dossiers for HTA processes
You will need to have:
- Relevant scientific degree (medical degree is a plus)
- 4+ years experience in the Pharmaceutical / Biotechnology industry in a medical affairs role
- Fluent in English and German, written and spoken
- Proven capacity to:
- communicate clearly complex scientific data, in different settings (F2F, virtual, and public presentations) and to different audiences (incl. top experts in the relevant fields)
- establish and develop internal and external networks
- plan and manage complex projects
- work independently and proactively
- act as a team player in multi-disciplinary settings
- Willingness to travel
We would prefer for you to have:
- Specialisation in the referred TA: osteology and/or endocrinology and/or rheumatology and/or neurology and/or gastroenterology/hepatology
- Experience in the implementation of clinical trials in accordance to ICH-GCP
- Proven record in real-world evidence generation
- Experience in the launch of new products
- Flexibility and easy adoption to changes
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development, and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.