Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Medical Science Liaison Manager – Koselugo; Northern Germany
Lübeck, Hamburg, Hannover, Göttingen, Dortmund
This is what you will do:
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based scientific expert that strategically supports the medical and scientific objectives of Alexion’s product/s across the product/s life cycle. He/she is a peer scientific expert who communicates accurate and applicable science to Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) within a geographic area. He/she manages and maintains collegial and professional relationships with KOLs and identifies and facilitates collaboration opportunities with Alexion. He/she combines strong business acumen and clinical expertise and serves as a peer-to-peer liaison internally and externally. He/she ensures a close working relationship with all functions in their region, including sales, and market access.
You will be responsible for:
- Develop and maintain peer-to-peer collaborations with key medical experts in pediatric and adult neurology and oncology and adjacent specialties within the assigned region and become recognized and educate the medical community with up-to-date medical and scientific information
- Identify and execute collaboration opportunities between expert KOLs in neurology and oncology and Alexion medical affairs and clinical development such as publications, investigator-initiated trials, regional advisory boards, training and speaker development programs.
- Communicate experts’ opinion, feedback on new data and clinical trends to Alexion Medical Affairs, therapeutic area (TA) franchises and translate this information into strategic recommendations to enhance science and advance patient care.
- Respond to unsolicited medical information requests in the region, manage questions, liaise with headquarters to ensure proper response has been provided and ensure that data is fair and balanced.
- In conjunction with clinical operations perform clinical study feasibility and support effective study implementation.
- Deliver quality medical education presentations in a variety of settings and obtain valuable feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization e.g. Staff Meetings, Round Tables, Hospital Meeting activities.
- Serve as an Alexion-internal expert in therapeutic area demonstrating up-to-date and high-level therapeutic expertise. Train Alexion staff on key scientific and medical topics in TA.
- Attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence, assist personal education, ensuring to utilize these opportunities to develop relationships with important HCPs for the geographic area of confidence
You will need to have:
- Relevant life-science degree (MD, PharmD, PhD, Master or Diploma)
- Sufficient experience in the Pharmaceutical / Biotechnology industry as either an MSL or sound experience in scientific sales
- Strong ability and experience to present complex scientific data
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent organziational skills and ability to work independently, at the same time being fond of being a part of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to work home based and travel within the region and to medical meetings, team meetings and other group meetings (could require some weekends)
- Strong personal initiative, and functioning well as part of a cross-functional team
We would prefer for you to have:
- Previous experience in a rare or ultra-rare disease environment is a distinct advantage
- Well-established networks and active relationships with TA-focused experts
- Experience in the launch of new products
- Fluency in English and German, both spoken and written
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development, and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.