Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders
This is what you will do:
The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders is a member of the Medical Affairs Team and will provide scientific and medical leadership especially for patients with metabolic disorders in establishing an in depth understanding of the relevant medical landscape in relation to relevant disease states and Alexion products. The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders is developing and implementing long-term strategy and building enduring medical affairs practices and infrastructure in line with overall Alexion strategy. The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders will provide strategic insight and input to Alexion activities in the therapeutic area (TA) and will provide support to all functions within the country to ensure achievement of local objectives and further to the global medical affairs mission to maximize patient outcomes by setting and continuously advancing the evidence-based medical standard of care.
The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders will ensure coordination and communication between regional and local organizations in all medical matters for the TA, acting as medical expert for the TA, including support for other functions (e.g. marketing, regulatory affairs, market access, HEOR).
The ideal candidate demonstrates strong scientific knowledge, medical leadership attitude, is a persuasive communicator of science and has an entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to work collaboratively across a growing organization.
The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Metabolic Disorders will report to the Country Medical Director.
You will be responsible for:
- Develop and implement global medical (TA) strategy and plan for GMA activities (pre-launch and post -launch as applicable) for the specified therapeutic area by providing medical leadership, insights and strategy to TA global medical affairs team across functions and countries globally:
- Demonstrate the appropriate leadership, direction, and accountability for leading and managing direct reports to ensure achievements of objectives and personal development
- Provide medical strategic recommendation for in-line life cycle management (LCM) and late phase pipeline programs
- Provide global medical guidance to country medical teams in developing country medical plans aligned with global medical strategy.
- Collaborate with Global Medical TA lead to ensure local activities are aligned with global medical strategy and that Global Medical is sufficiently aware of country insights and needs.
- Ensure country medical affairs develops and continuously maintains the highest scientific and medical expertise in all relevant diseases and products and is acknowledged both internally and externally.
- Establish and/or enhance partnerships with key academic institutions and develop relationships with global key thought leaders.
- Ensure a close working relationship with all functions in country, including sales, marketing, market access, HEOR, patient advocacy, regulatory, and pharmacovigilance
- Identify and implement appropriate high-impact medical research projects
- Provide medical review and ensure alignment with TA strategy of Investigator sponsored research (ISR) proposals.
- Development, implementation, and support of national key medical events such as symposia or medical standalone meetings in close collaboration with key stakeholders
- Initiate and support high impact medical education activities including digital and virtual options
- Organize and manage medical advisory boards as needed and defined in the medical plan
- Review and approve promotional materials to ensure information is accurate, relevant to the country environment, and ensure medical accuracy
- Make an intelligent interpretation of key relevant scientific data, identify unmet medical, educational, and research needs within the medical community
- Provide medical input direction to the development of impactful scientific and medical education messages and materials
- Conduct or participate in training programs for commercial teams and other functions
- Support the medical information function to ensure timely response to medical information inquiries and collation of requests
- Support of the departments pharmacovigilance (PV) and quality assurance (QA)
- Collaborates with clinical operations and medical advisor clinical trials (MACT) to support the performance of clinical study feasibility, effective study implementation and ongoing management of trials, including disease registries
- Spend time in the field (face-to-face and virtual) to provide appropriate and timely medical support
- Maintain knowledge of the respective therapeutic area, stay current on leading edge medicines and development efforts, attend appropriate national and international meetings and congresses to gather intelligence and for personal education
- Support HTA activities and reimbursement applications locally in close collaboration with market accessGeneration of local data and its dissemination through publication and abstracts as part of congress contributions
- In cooperation with Global Scientific Communications development and implementation of a local publication plan based on local and global strategies
- Stay current of local laws and guidelines, codes of practices and Alexion policies relevant to medical affairs activity
You will need to have:
- Medical degree (M.D.) or pharmacist or advanced degree in medical science (PhD in a scientific or related field and/or equivalent experience)
- Minimum of 4 years-experience in the pharmaceutical or the biotech industry. Regional or global experience is a plus
- Previous experience in leadership positions is a plus
- Ability to manage all aspects of medical affairs responsibilities on country level
- Experience of at least one product launch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both local language and in English
We would prefer for you to have:
- Specialist in the referred TA preferred but not essential
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate medical/scientific literature accurately and effectively, and develop effective medical and communication strategies
- Positive attitude during challenging situations
- Willing to travel
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.