Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
Study Start Up Senior Manager
Flexible location within Germany – remote/field based
This is what you will do:
The Study Start-up (SSU) Senior Manager has local/country responsibility for the delivery of site start up activities for assigned studies and are active participants in the clinical study team(s). The SSU Senior Manager works in close collaboration with Monitors, Support Services, study sites and the clinical study team to ensure that site activation deliverables are achieved in a timely and efficient manner. In addition, they will have responsibility for actively interacting with Health Authorities within their respective country/region and may be responsible for submission and approval processes across multiple countries.
The SSU Senior Manager is responsible for ensuring that all requirements for site activation are in place for the agreed number of centers in clinical studies according to Alexion/AstraZeneca Procedural Documents, international guidelines such as ICH and GCP as well as relevant local regulations. The SSU Senior Manager will deliver according to the commitment in the individual studies and local site activation process.
You will be responsible for:
- Coordination and administration of start-up activities of clinical studies from site identification through site activation
- Obtain and maintain essential documentation in compliance with ICH-GCP, Alexion/AstraZeneca Procedural Documents.
- Under supervision from the COM Team and other relevant stakeholders (i.e. Legal, ClinOps, etc.), assist in negotiations of budget and contract with site resolution of issues and contract execution.
- Assists in producing and collecting site-specific contracts, ICFs and CDAs from country and/or master template.
- Extensive interactions with Health Authorities in assigned countries or regions to facilitate the submission and queries to ensure successful country approval.
- Performs site selection visits to asses potential sites
- May be responsible for multiple countries, ensuring successful submission strategy and execution where needed.
- Coordinates with relevant stakeholders to generate responses to Ethics/IRB, RA queries during the evaluation period of the study; proceeds with submission of the responses within timelines
- Prepares ongoing submissions, amendments, and periodic notifications required by central and local EC/IRBs within the country; includes safety notifications as required by local regulations, with oversight from the COM team.
- Share information (metrics) on study site progress towards activation within local clinical study teams and Senior Management as required.
- Drive delivery of regulatory documents at the sites. Proactively identify delays in start-up activities and the risks to the activation plan. Review and collect essential regulatory documents for filing in eTMF
- Set-up, populate and accurately maintain information in Alexion’s tracking and communication tools (e.g. Veeva Vault, SharePoint etc.) and support others in the usage of these systems.
- Coordinates with local COM team for preparation and submission of regular study progress reports
- Ensure regulatory binders and study supplies are provided for study site start-up and/or delivered as per start-up process and agreement with the clinical study team
- Confirms debarment status of potential investigators
- Acts as a Sponsor local person for the regular update of local clinical trial registries according to local regulations, as applicable
- May oversee SSU associates to ensure quality and compliance throughout the study startup process
You will need to have:
- Approx. 6 years of Study Startup or related experience
- 50% travel (mainly nationally)
- Excellent knowledge of international guidelines ICH-GCP, basic knowledge of GMP/GDP
- Bachelors degree in related discipline, preferably in life science, or equivalent qualification
- Excellent knowledge of relevant local regulations in each of the countries responsible (as applicable)
- Good medical knowledge and ability to learn relevant Alexion Therapeutic Areas.
- Basic understanding of the drug development process.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills in german and english
We would prefer for you to have:
- Veeva Clinical Vault Experience
- Good understanding of Clinical Study Management including monitoring, study drug handling and data management.
- Experience at CRO or Sponsor
- Manages change with a positive approach for self, team and the business. Sees change as an opportunity to improve performance and add value to the business.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to understand the impact of technology on projects and to use and develop computer skills while making appropriate use of systems/software in an e-enabled environment.
- Team oriented and flexible; ability to respond quickly to shifting demands and opportunities.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.