Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
This is what you will do:
At Alexion, the Rare Disease Unit of AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. As the Accounting Intern, based in New Haven, CT, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Alexion is seeking a highly motivated intern with educational experience in applying accepted accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely results and to ensure appropriate account control procedures. This position will be a member of a cross-functional, multi-national, accounting team responsible for critical accounting areas, internal financial analysis, accounting technical research and financial reporting. This position will interact with Alexion business leaders, senior accounting management and global accounting teams.
Specifically, we are seeking an individual with the traits listed below:
- Motivated self-starter who is detailed, results and process oriented with a focus on effective and efficient improvements
- Organized individual with the ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining high performance standards
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills and ability to work in a highly visible, deadline-oriented position and environment
- Strong communication and people skills, comfortable working with a cross functional and collaborative team and effectively able to deal with all levels of personnel
You will be responsible for:
The position and its responsibilities will have an emphasis on Corporate Accounting, Revenue Accounting, Global Legal Entity Accounting and Financial Reporting. The position will support accounting and reporting functions in the following capacities:
Accounting & Internal Controls
- Assist in preparing journal entries for key areas of responsibility
- Preparation of key internal controls, within Revenue Accounting and other areas
General ledger account reconciliations
Internal Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Develop analytics/metrics to facilitate the understanding of changes in key accounts and metrics
- Assist in preparation of internal financial reporting packages distributed to key accounting leaders
External Financial Reporting
- Assist in improvements to chart of accounts mapping
- Preparation of rollforward of balance sheet movement over time submissions to corporate
Project and Ad Hoc Areas of Focus
- Assist in the drafting of standard operating procedures
- Partner on other ad hoc data analysis as needed on projects
- Perform testing procedures for planned system implementations
- Ad hoc technical accounting projects as needed
You will need to have:
- No prior accounting work experience necessary
- Intermediate level with Microsoft Office Products required (MS Excel/ Word)
- In process of completing bachelor's or master’s degree in Accounting, preferred
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Alexion provides exceptions based on applicable state law as well as reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding a legally required exemption or accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.