Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
This is what you will do:
- The development intern is responsible for performing assigned experimental tasks to support charge variant characterization incorporating iCE, CE infinite, HPLC/UPLC methods, and/or other product characterization assays for Alexion’s therapeutic protein candidates. The intern will work in collaboration with other scientific staff in R&D and Analytical Development and Quality Control.
You will be responsible for:
- Executes experimental studies to characterize therapeutic protein (60-70%)
- Document study results in notebooks, forms, and technical reports (10-20%)
- Communicate and present scientific findings in process development and global product development groups (10-20%)
You will need to have:
A successful candidate will typically have:
- 0-2 years of experience working in a relevant laboratory setting
- Understanding/coursework in the fundamentals of biology, chemistry, and engineering
- Lab-based role, conducted in an lab environment
- Ability/desire to learn new techniques
- Good interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills
- Experience with various MS Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
We would prefer for you to have:
- A successful candidate will typically complete most of core courses towards a BA or BS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited university.
- Problem solving skills: Solves routine technical problems
- Scientific Inquisitiveness: Understands background of assigned technical tasks
- Communication skills: Discusses work with supervisor and coworkers; Can draft technical documents with templates
- Technical expertise: Conducts assigned routine tasks in the laboratory with supervision
- Strategic ability: Understands priority of assigned tasks under direct supervision
- Ownership: Works with supervisor to ensure assigned tasks are completed
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Alexion provides exceptions based on applicable state law as well as reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding a legally required exemption or accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.