Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
This is what you will do:
Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease, is seeking a highly motivated junior or senior undergraduate student to intern in the New Capabilities Process Development Department within Biologic Drug Substance Process function. This process development intern is responsible for performing assigned experimental and/or theoretical tasks to support the development of Alexion’s therapeutic protein candidates. The intern will learn and apply principles of biologics process development in two key technical areas: chromatography and filtration. This intern will be expected to perform purification development using ion exchange membrane chromatography, perform analytical assays and present research data within the department and will be given the opportunity to learn and work on advanced laboratory techniques. Opportunity to gain hands-on experience, build partnerships, and jump-start career in Pharmaceutical Industry.
You will be responsible for:
- Literature search on the project that will facilitate and improve our current process development capabilities
- Being trained on relevant equipment and systems being utilized for the project
- Execute experimental studies to optimize a process and/or develop tools critical in biologics process development
- Design and perform purification of monoclonal antibody with Ion Exchange Membrane Chromatography using knowledge of protein chemistry, preparative chromatography, and membrane separation techniques.
- Perform protein purification using AKTA Avant/AKTA pure using Unicorn software.
- Perform Analytical assays with purified samples using HPLC, Gyros Xplore, SoloVPE and Protein Simple-Maurice to determine purity, Host Cell Protein, Protein concentration and cIEF/CE-SDS analysis respectively.
- Demonstrate the advantages associated with Ion Exchange Membrane Chromatography such as reliability, speed, and scalability.
- Buffer preparations and perform general lab duties.
- Document experimental results in Electronic Laboratory Notebook.
- Present research data within the department meetings.
You will need to have:
- Students working on BS in life science such as biochemistry, biotechnology, biochemical, chemical engineering, or other related biology or chemistry are welcome to apply
- You must have completed your freshman, sophomore, or junior year by June at an accredited college or university with plans to return to school in the following term.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale).
- 0-2 years experience working in relevant laboratory setting
- Coursework completed in biology, chemistry, engineering, or related field
- Good interpersonal, collaborative, and communication skills
- Experience with MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Desire and ability to learn new techniques and use problem-solving skills
- Physical elements: Bending, standing, working with small parts, reaching, kneeling
- Be willing to make a full-time commitment of 40 hours a week for 10 weeks mid-June to late August.
We would prefer for you to have:
- Knowledge withdifferent protein purification unit operations including chromatography and filtration.
- Knowledge and expereince with design of experiements or statistic analysis
- Basic lab skills (ie: pipetting, weighing components, pH/conductivity measurements) and safety operation
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. All US-based employees must comply with Alexion’s COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Alexion provides exceptions based on applicable state law as well as reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding a legally required exemption or accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion offers a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.