Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the chance to change lives. At Alexion, people living with rare and devastating diseases are our Guiding Star. We are driven to continuously innovate and create meaningful value in all we do to help patients and families fully live their best lives. We value the uniqueness and diversity of our employees and recognize that nurturing the diverse perspectives and strengths of our people translates into innovative breakthroughs for patients.
This is what you will do:
The Medical Advisor Pipeline (MAP) is a field-based scientific resource that strategically supports the development, medical, and scientific objectives of Alexion’s portfolio/pipeline's different phases of development.
The position of the MAP has evolved into a comprehensive, complex, highly interactive, targeted, highly strategic, innovative, and independent role.
The MAP will work very closely with Clinical Operations & Clinical Development to ensure the successful performance of clinical trials, from early feasibility to successful study completion. They will also act as a peer scientific guide who communicates accurate and applicable scientific and medical information to Principal Investigators and Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and collects relevant data for Alexion from the field within a geographic area.
He/she will maintain a very close collaboration with the Country Operations, Global and Local Medical Affairs teams, and the New Product Medical Leads. This includes regular bi-directional updates and alignment on strategic medical plans for each individual study at the country level.
In addition, the MAP will own the local strategy for early external scientific engagement in his/her geographic area. He/she will identify key scientific experts, engage with them and maintain collegial and professional relationships. He/she will closely work to identify collaboration opportunities and ensure to collect actionable insights in new fields of engagement.
The MAP will report directly to the Head of External Scientific Engagement, Global R&D Hub in Barcelona, and in the dotted line to the Country Medical Director(s). The accountability for the Medical Affairs aspects of the studies will be determined for each individual study and country.
You will be responsible for:
- Key Experts Engagement & long term partnership
- Clinical Trial Support
- Drive identification of potential sites and investigators for clinical trials
- Support clinical study feasibility, effective study implementation, and study management based on a trial/site specific action plan
- Enhance clinical operations efforts to improve recruitment & retention by possible education, training, clinical discussions with site’s team, e.g. on in- and exclusion criteria
- Medical activities & Scientific Exchange
- Develop and maintain the highest scientific and medical expertise in the relevant fields and be acknowledged internally and externally as an expert & resource in the assigned therapeutic area
- Lead & implement relevant local initiatives with key experts that could support R&D or study implementation (Adv Board, Investigators as speakers, Lead local consensus..) in alignement with COM, Global R&D and Country Medical Affairs colleagues
- Identify and address relevant educational gaps and relay those to Global and Country Medical Affairs
- Ensure timely and informative scientific/medical exchanges with customers and internal partners, in accordance with compliance policies and with legal requirements
- Medical Intelligence
- Develop in depth knowledge of the assigned therapeutic areas
- Obtain valuable and actionable insights from the field to be shared with internal stakeholders
- Medical Information
- Forward medical information inquiries to Global Medical Information, according to Alexion policy
- Stay current of local laws and guidelines, codes of practices and Alexion policies relevant to Clinical Development and Medical Affairs activity
- Strong collaboration with (but not limited to):
- Clinical Operations & Country Operations
- Country Medical Affairs teams including the New Product Medical Leads (Advisors)
- Clinical Development
- Launch excellence
You will need to have:
- MD, PharmD, or PhD in natural sciences
- Minimum 5 years of combined experience in Medical Affairs/Clinical Operations/Clinical Development
- Experience and skills in experts engagement and leading Advisory Boards
- Knowledge of the country’s healthcare system and market access environment
- Previous experience in rare diseases is of advantage
- Willingness to travel (up to 50 % of time)
- Fluency in English and relevant local languages, written and spoken
We would prefer for you to have:
- Patient centricity
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Proven capacity to:
- Establish and develop internal and external networks
- Plan and manage complex projects
- Work independently and proactively
- Act as a team player in multi-disciplinary settings
- Positive attitude during challenging situations
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
Alexion is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to fostering a culture of belonging where every single person can belong because of their uniqueness. The Company will not make decisions about employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, creed or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), parental status (including adoption or surrogacy), military status, protected veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or expression, genetic information, mental illness or other characteristics protected by law. Alexion provides reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of candidates and employees. To begin an interactive dialogue with Alexion regarding an accommodation, please contact accommodations@Alexion.com. Alexion participates in E-Verify.
AstraZeneca completed its acquisition of Alexion, marking the creation of Alexion, AstraZeneca Rare Disease. If you’re interested in career opportunities with AstraZeneca, click here.