Patent Counsel – Associate Director
Req ID: 15543
Job Category: Legal
Location: Boston, MA
Posting Date: March 14, 2019
Attention: If you are a current Alexion employee, please apply via Alexion’s internal Life & Career portal. Note that you will need to be connected to the VPN if you are applying away from the office.
Alexion does not contact candidates via instant messaging or chat tools. At no time will we ask candidates for fees associated with obtaining software, nor do we provide employees with a cashier’s check to purchase new equipment. If you are contacted in this manner, please be aware that it is fraudulent, and please do not provide any information or money to these individuals. Applicants should only apply through this Alexion website. Any fraudulent activity should be reported to GSOC@alexion.com
Alexion is seeking a patent attorney to address a full scope of global biopharmaceutical patent issues. The attorney in this position will partner with clients and other attorneys across multiple functional areas to build, maintain, defend and enforce the company’s intellectual property interests. The work will include client counseling; patent preparation and prosecution; developing legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity and freedom to operate; supporting due diligence reviews; and intellectual property related transactional work.
- Provide IP support to clients within Research and Development, Business Development, Technical Operations and other functional areas through all phases of drug research, development and commercialization.
- Build the company’s intellectual property portfolio through strategic patent preparation and prosecution.
- Partner with other members of the company’s IP team to manage intellectual property risks within the company’s programs and pipeline, including performing freedom-to-operate analyses and preparing opinions with respect to patent infringement and validity.
- Support intellectual property due diligence on strategic transactions and perform intellectual property related transactional work.
- Support intellectual property litigation (offense and defense), partnering with outside counsel, other in-house counsel and clients to efficiently achieve successful outcomes.
- Educate clients on important intellectual property issues and forge strong client relationships that leverage opportunities to identify, create and protect valuable intellectual property.
- Cooperate with management and colleagues to develop, implement and execute policies and practices that drive a proactive, business oriented IP program.
- At least 4 years of patent attorney experience with reputable, highly rated law firms and/or life sciences companies.
- Excellent biopharmacuetical patent preparation and prosecution skills, with experience in global patent prosecution.
- Registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Experience counseling clients in biopharmaceutical research and development programs.
- Understanding of intellectual property case law, rules and regulations.
- Ability to develop pragmatic, business-centric approaches for managing intellectual property risks.
- Ability to identify, analyze and render legal advice on complex intellectual property issues.
- A global business enterprise view, with recognition of the potential commercial implications of an intellectual property issue within a region or country.
- Clear potential to establish professional credibility with clients by delivering clear, concise and accurate advice, including the appropriate level of detail and anticipation of follow-up questions.
- Passion and commitment to the practice of law.
- Proven record of high integrity.
- J.D. from a highly respected law school.
- Advanced degree, preferably Ph.D., in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology, pharmacology or another discipline relevant to biopharmaceutical drug research and development.
Boston, MA, United States
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing therapies. As the global leader in complement biology and inhibition for more than 20 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), and anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D). In addition, the company is developing two late-stage therapies, a second complement inhibitor and a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and metabolic disorders. Alexion has been named to the Forbes list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies seven years in a row and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts’ Innovation District. The company also has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries.
Alexion’s aspiration is to be the most rewarding place to work, where people are empowered to make a difference and where diversity of backgrounds and ideas is encouraged. We are looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment to change the lives of patients with rare diseases. We hope you will consider joining our team. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.
Alexion participates in E-Verify process. To learn more, please click on attached document(s)